This course provides participants with the core competencies to lead audits of environmental management systems to ensure that they meet the requirements of the ISO 14001 standard.
Whilst not essential, it would be advantageous to have a knowledge of Management Systems and Standards.
- Those involved in developing an Environmental Management System
- Those carrying out audits of Environmental Management Systems, looking to gain formal recognition of their knowledge and experience.
Relevant Competency Units
Upon successful completion of the course, students will receive a Certificate of Attainment for the following Exemplar Global competency units:
- Exemplar Global-EM Environmental Management Systems
- Exemplar Global-AU Management Systems Auditing
- Exemplar Global-TL Leading Management Systems Audit Teams
Successful students can apply to become an EMS Auditor under the Exemplar Global Auditor Certification Scheme.
Upon successful completion of this course participants will have gained the following knowledge and skills and be able to:
- Apply environmental management principles
- Understand the intent and requirements of ISO 14001 and how to meet them
- Identify typical evidence to demonstrate conformity to the requirements of ISO 14001
- Set up environmental management systems to assist in ensuring legal compliance
- Use environmental management tools such as aspect and impact evaluation to identify how an organisation’s processes can impact on ecosystems
- Identify methods of environmental protection to reduce negative impact of human activities on the environment
- Evaluate the implementation and effectiveness of an environmental management system
- Establish audit objectives, scope and criteria
- Establish, plan and task the activities of an audit team
- Schedule audits and develop site audit plans and checklists
- Communicate effectively with the auditee and audit client
- Gather objective evidence using interviewing, observation, and sampling techniques
- Organise and direct audit team members
- Consider the cultural, religious, and or social customs of the auditee during audit conduct
- Analyse and interpret information to determine conformance with requirements
- Prepare audit reports and undertake follow up activities.
This training is available as:
- a 5 day Public course where training and assessment is designed around participants carrying out the steps to audit a environmental management system for a case study organisation. Please refer to our public course schedule.
- an ‘In House’ programme where training and assessment is customized to suit the needs of your organisation, typically by using the organisation itself as the focus for the activities including the identification of environmental risks and auditing of processes. Contact us directly at email@example.com.
The training features a range of assessment events designed to allow multiple opportunities for participants to demonstrate competency. These include practical exercises and brief written assignments.
Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL)
If you believe that you have already acquired some or all of the competencies through previous training, work or life experience you can apply for recognition of prior learning (RPL).