Some people have skills and knowledge that enable them to gain a qualification without completing a standard training program or course. These skills and knowledge may have been gained through some other form of study, formal training, self-tuition, work experience or life experience.
We can formally recognise a student’s existing level of skill and knowledge in two ways:
- recognition of prior learning (RPL)
- credit transfer.
RPL is an assessment process that assesses the individual’s non-formal and informal learning to determine the extent to which that individual has achieved the required learning outcomes, competency outcomes, or standards for entry to, and/or partial or total completion of a qualification.
RPL recognises this prior knowledge and experience and measures it against the course in which students are enrolled. A student possessing some of the skills and/or knowledge taught in the course may not need to complete all of its units.
Previous experience and study can be taken into account whether it was achieved in Australia or overseas.
Credit transfer allows students to count relevant, successfully completed studies – achieved at TAFE colleges, accredited private providers, professional organisations or enterprises and universities – towards their current course or qualifications.
Credit transfer works in two ways:
- students receive credit for units or modules they have previously completed and are exempt from retaking them, therefore reducing the study load.
If a student believes that they already hold some of the competencies acquired by means such as previous training, work or life experience, they can apply to have these assessed and recognised as long as documentary evidence can be provided to demonstrate their ability to meet all the performance criteria of the elements that they are seeking recognition for.
How to apply
- Contact ANDSAM email@example.com to enquire about your eligibility for RPL / credit transfer and the associated fees;
- ANDSAM will provide you with a Recognition Kit to help you to self-assess against the relevant Unit(s) of competency and to assist you in compiling evidence such as previously attained certificates, workplace evidence, testimonials, etc., in support of your application;
- Submit your application and supporting evidence to ANDSAM by emailing to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- On the basis of the assessment of the evidence provided, you will be advised in writing that:
- Recognition has been granted
- Recognition has been denied and the reasons why
- Additional evidence is required
The results will be recorded and held within ANDSAM Training’s student database.